<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Layout:
Home > What I have learned
 

What I have learned

November 6th, 2012 at 06:09 pm

Things are getting back to somewhat normal. I did learned a few things from this experience, you know, Sandy the superstorm. I learned that we no longer want to keep a deep freezer in the house. Honestly, the freezer was necessary when the boys were growing up, but they are barely here anymore and the meat consumption in the house has gone down significantly. For now, I'm using what we got and will unplug it once everything is gone. We are thinking of donating the deep freezer to a local food pantry. We also realized that we have to buy a generator to offset the loss of power. We are thinking on going with a generator that runs with gasoline or propane (dual). I'll let you know what we have decided. Third, we now know who are true friends are. I'm planning on have a really nice dinner for friends and family members who really stepped up to the plate to help us.

5 Responses to “What I have learned”

  1. FrugalTexan75 Says:

    Have you thought about a natural gas generator instead? I've read in several articles that those with a ngg had a much easier time of it than those with other types.

  2. NJDebbie Says:

    No natural gas lines in our street. We heat the house with home heating oil.

  3. CB in the City Says:

    My co-worker has a small generator strong enough to run the fridge but not the whole house. She felt that was all she really needed, and it was much cheaper. However, losing heat in winter could be a big problem!

  4. Joan.of.the.Arch Says:

    I'm glad to hear what people are learning from the storm. I think it can help the rest of us.

    FrugalTexan--thanks for mentioning natural gas generators. This is new to me.

  5. Jerry Says:

    There are some great options that offer insurance of power and heat if you are willing to look around. A small generator with a wood burning stove might lead to a good option for some people, as well. That was what my parents had when we were kids, and we never got cold when the power was out, even during ice storms! It would bring down some tree limbs, and we would have even more fuel for the wood stove. Smile Jerry

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
*
Will not be published.
   

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]