<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Home > What would you do?

What would you do?

August 28th, 2015 at 05:29 am

I have an opportunity to apply for a teaching job at a town near my home. It is at time difficult for districts to fill job vacancies for this particular subject matter. In fact, as a new teacher 10 years ago (with no teaching experience) I was bumped to Step 9 in the salary scale because of the shortage. I like my job but we have gone through at least four principals in four years and that can be very difficult on the faculty and student body.

It seems that I will have a much better long-term earning potential at the new school district. I have some reservations if I happen to apply and get the job:

1. I'm wondering if they would match the salary step from my current job since my step doesn't match the year of experience.

2. Starting from scratch again. Interview process and new school.

3. Last but not least, I will be giving up my tenure. I have to admit that this is not as important to me because I know I'm a good teacher and can get tenure again. I will, however, will be giving up seniority. Currently second on the list in my department.


1. Less of a commute (cut in half)
2. New beginning
3. Long term better earning potential

What do you think? Should I bother sending my resume?

6 Responses to “What would you do?”

  1. creditcardfree Says:

    I would send your resume at a minimum. It's good experience to get it updated! While you are waiting to hear about an interview you can keep pondering the pros and cons. If you get the interview, I would go. During an interview, you would likely learn answers to many of your questions. In the end, if they offer you the job, you do have the option to say no. Good luck making your decision. Smile

  2. monkeymama Says:

    Agreed with ccfree. I'd send in the resume and see what kind of offer you get. I think it's hard to rule out an opportunity like that without looking into it further. Once you interview and have an offer you will probably have a more clear decision either way.

  3. snafu Says:

    I add my voice to ccf, but wonder if this affects your retirement program in any way. I'd use the reduced transportation cost to create a new savings stream. It can be significant as less mileage means less maintenance, repair, tires, operation, possibly insurance costs. Four principals in four years suggests that you're able to adjust to frequent change. If it's difficult to find someone with your credentials, you can ask for anything in their power to give. Do you know how their social-economic district compares with where you currently teach?

  4. My English Castle Says:

    Yep, me too. You can always turn them down--and snafu--as always--raises some valid points.

  5. rob62521 Says:

    I would send it in and see what they offer. You aren't tied to anything at this point with this new district and who knows...maybe they will give you a nice surprise.

  6. frugaltexan75 Says:

    I would definitely at least apply.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]